The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Beaudesert Castle, Henley

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
The Mount; Beldesert; castellum suum de Bellodeserto

In the civil parish of Beaudesert.
In the historic county of Warwickshire.
Modern Authority of Warwickshire.
1974 county of Warwickshire.
Medieval County of Warwickshire.

OS Map Grid Reference: SP15606613
Latitude 52.29316° Longitude -1.77266°

Beaudesert Castle, Henley has been described as a certain Timber Castle, and also as a certain Masonry Castle.

There are earthwork remains.

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law.


The site of Beaudesert Castle survives well, contains a range of important archaeological features and represents a fine example of a motte with a double bailey and an associated fishpond and water-management complex.
Beaudesert Castle is situated in a prominent position on The Mount, above the town of Henley-in-Arden. The monument comprises a single area including a number of features: a motte and double bailey castle, two fishponds and ridge and furrow cultivation. The motte and bailey castle is set on a promontory of high ground running north-east to south-west. The motte is a flat-topped, artificial mound surrounded by a ditch. The ditch measures approximately 15m wide and has a near vertical outer bank. The motte is 85m in length and 55m wide at its widest point; an area of approximately 0.5ha. A raised bank of earth on the south west side of the motte forms a causeway across the ditch, allowing access from the bailey to the motte. The bailey is divided into inner and outer enclosures by a 10m wide ditch with a V-shaped profile. The two enclosures vary both in size and form. The inner contains an area of 0.5ha and is rectangular in plan while the outer is oval, enclosing approximately 0.3ha. Access to the motte and bailey was by a terraced way from the south leading into the inner courtyard through a defile. In 1840 a piece of 13th or 14th century moulded capital was found at the site. Other finds have included fragments of ceramic roof tiles. Two fishponds are located approximately 150m to the north of Beaudesert Castle. The dry upper pond has a rectangular plan and contains an area of approximately 0.4ha. The retaining banks measure up to 10m wide and 0.5m high. There is a break in the bank at the north-west corner of the pond and a dry, shallow channel is visible west of the upper pond. A raised island 20m in length, survives within the pond close to the north bank. There is evidence of ridge and furrow cultivation within the now dry pond. South west of the upper pond is a second, lower fishpond. The lower pond, which is waterlogged, measures 100m in length and 30m broad at its widest section. The retaining banks survive as earthworks and an outflow channel can be traced as a shallow, silted-up ditch which runs into a stream south-west of the lower fishpond. Several blocks of ridge and furrow cultivation are contained within the constraint area. These blocks of ridge and furrow all relate physically to the other features on the site, for example, the two fishponds, and provide interconnecting stratigraphic links between them, providing evidence for the development of the site through time. North-east of the motte and bailey castle are the earthworks of a small quarry which cut into the hillslope. There is a buried observation post located in the ditch between the inner and outer baileys. It is part of the historical development of the site and is included in the scheduling. There is little documentary evidence for the architectural history of Beaudesert Castle. The castle is thought to have been constructed by Thurstane de Monfort and was completed by approximately 1140. Beaudesert Castle is known to have been occupied by Peter de Monfort. The importance of the castle probably declined when the de Monfort estates passed to the Earl of Warwick in approximately 1369. An account roll of 1411 mentions repairs to the castle. Beaudesert Castle was probably abandoned by 1547. (Scheduling Report)

Remains of earthworks on a steep hill called 'The Mount', which forms a promontory. The site is by nature strong and commanding. The extant remains consist of a flat-topped oval artificial mound surrounded by a ditch covering about 0.83 ha; a raised bank of earth crossing the ditch to the SW connects this moated 'keep' with its accompanying courtyard. 82m from this entrance another ditch runs across the flat top of the hill and possibly divided an outer from an inner courtyard. The defences which formerly encircled these courts have gradually been demolished and the ditches filled. Hardly anything is known of its architectural history. It existed by c1140, but its importance probably declined when the de Montfort estates passed to the Earl of Warwick c1369. An account roll of 1411 mentions repairs to the castle, but there is no mention in 1547, by which time it is presumed to have fallen into ruin. It has been suggested that the earthworks have a prehistoric origin, but this is unlikely. At the E end of the enclosed area children have scrambled up and down the steep sides and some stones and a few fragments of roof tile have been exposed. From this it would appear that the top was surrounded by a stone wall set some 1.8 to 2.6m back from the present edge. In three places there are slight circular depressions about 3m across, possibly the sites of towers, and another larger depression well within the enclosure could be the site of an isolated tower or keep. It was probably erected by Thurstane de Montfort and was also occupied by Peter de Montfort. (Warwickshire HER)

Limited excavation in 2001 by the Time Team revealed part of the Great Hall and curtain wall. (PastScape–ref. English Heritage Excavation Index)

Sometimes said to have been licenced in 1306 (TimeTeam, for instance, broadcast this erroneous statement) and Gatehouse suspects some sources may give building dates based on this error, but that licence refered to Beaudesert Hall, Staffordshire (rather obviously so except to those wrongly wedded to the idea that licences to crenellate were royal permissions to build castles).
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER   Scheduling        
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
This record last updated 26/07/2017 09:20:09

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact