The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Baddesley Clinton Hall

In the civil parish of Baddesley Clinton.
In the historic county of Warwickshire.
Modern Authority of Warwickshire.
1974 county of Warwickshire.
Medieval County of Warwickshire.

OS Map Grid Reference: SP19957147
Latitude 52.34097° Longitude -1.70864°

Baddesley Clinton Hall has been described as a certain Fortified Manor House.

There are major building remains.

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law.
This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law*.


Baddesley Clinton Hall moated site is a rare example of this class of monument as the site survives in a near-complete condition, with the house intact within the moat. The survival of buried remains of documented early agricultural buildings outside the moat, to the north, is also unusual and will permit a study of the agricultural economy associated with the moated site. Environmental deposits will survive within the waterfilled moat and, despite dredging activities, within the associated fishponds. The importance of the site is enhanced by the survival of written records detailing the history of the site from the 15th century onwards, and the associated fishponds are the most fully documented examples in the county.
The monument is situated approximately 350m north west of St James's Church and includes Baddesley Clinton Hall moated site and its associated fishponds. The moated site has external dimensions of 45m north west-south east and 60m north east-south west. The waterfilled moat arms are revetted in stone and measure up to 12m wide. Access to the moated island is by means of an early 18th century bridge across the north eastern arm of the moat. It has been constructed in red brick and has two circular arches with a plain brick parapet. The bridge is Listed Grade I and is included in the scheduling. The moated island is occupied by Baddesley Clinton Hall, a fortified manor house, which dates mostly from the mid- to late 15th century. The Hall consists of three building ranges which occupy the north eastern, south eastern and south western sides of the island. It is Listed Grade I and is not included in the scheduling but the ground beneath the standing ranges is included. The building range along the north western side of the moated island was demolished in the 18th century. This range will survive as a buried feature and its remains are included in the scheduling. The area to the north and north east of the moated site, known as The Forecourt, was occupied by several buildings during the medieval period. A rectangular building is shown, immediately to the north of the Baddesley Clinton Hall, on a 1699 estate map of the site. The buildings were dismantled during the early 18th century but linear depressions and undulations in the ground surface here, indicate that these buildings will survive as buried features and are included in the scheduling. Immediately to the north west of the moated site are two small waterfilled ponds which are inter-connected by a brick-lined leat. They were dredged in c.1980 when timber drain pipes were located in the bases of the ponds. The drain pipes survive in situ and are included in the scheduling along with the ponds themselves. Documents from the 15th century provide detailed evidence for the construction of these ponds, which are thought to have functioned as breeding tanks for fish. To the south west of the fishponds is a large triangular-shaped pond which extends northwards in the form of a canal. Although the pond is present on the 1699 estate map of the site, it has since been greatly enlarged. It forms part of the landscape setting of Baddesley Clinton Hall but is not included in the scheduling. The building history of Baddesley is complex. The moated site is believed to date from the 13th century, while most of the quadrangular house is no earlier than the 15th century when the site was owned by the Brome family. Their successors, the Ferrers, altered the building in the 16th century and alterations also occurred in the early 18th and the 19th century. (Scheduling Report)
Manor house. Late C15, on earlier site; south-east range refronted c.1736: late C19 service wing added to north-east side of south-west range designed and built by Edward Heneage Dering. Courtyard plan. North-east range: stone ashlar; old brick flues, bridge end stack to right with octagonal brick flue. 2-storey, 6-window range. Gatehouse at right of centre: 4-centred outer archway encloses 4-centred doorway with spandrels. Panelled and studded door to inner doorway. 6-light stone mullion and transom window to first floor. Battlemented parapet to gatehouse. 2-light stone mullion window with 4-centre arched heads to lights, at left of centre 3-light stone mullion window with 4-centre arched heads to lights, at right,. 5-light stone mullion window to left of centre. Two 3-light stone mullion windows, with flat stone arches having keystones, to left. Continuous hoodmould to right, and to left of centre. 4-light stone mullion window to first floor right. 3-light stone mullion window to first floor right of centre. 4-light stone mullion window to first floor left of centre. Two 3-light stone mullion window to first floor left. South-east range: red brick; old plain-tile roof; various brick stacks,with octagonal or diagonally set brick flues, 2 storey A-window range. Irregular fenestration, mostly of C18 three-light wood casements with segmental brick heads. south-west range: stone ashlar; old plain-tile roof; various brick stacks. 2-storey, 6-window range. Irregular fenestration, mostly of 3-light stone mullion windows. Single-storey addition to centre with hipped old plain-tile roof, has 2 round-arched blind recesses to moat. Wood casement window to ground floor. Courtyard: irregular fenestration. Interior: entrance hall has close-studded timber-framing to walls. Great hall has stone fireplace of decorative pillars supporting a frieze and atlantes flanking rectangular panel with round heraldic central panel with strapwork surroundings. Dining room has late C16 panelling and carved wood fireplace with pillars supporting a frieze and with richly carved central heraldic panel. Drawing room has C17 panelling and chimney piece placed here C18 Henry Ferrers' Bedroom, also known as the state bedroom has panelling and chimney-piece of c.1629. Other rooms also have panelling and carved chimney pieces. Bridge. Early C18. Red brick. 2 round arches, plain brick parapet. History: site held by the Clintons, then was bought by John Brome in 1438. Held by the Brome family, and passed by inheritance to the Ferrers family in 1517. Henry Ferrers (1549-1633) carried out much work at the house. (Listed Building Report)
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER   Scheduling   Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 26/07/2017 09:20:09

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact