The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Tamworth Castle

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
castellum de Tameword

In the civil parish of Tamworth.
In the historic county of Staffordshire.
Modern Authority of Staffordshire.
1974 county of Staffordshire.
Medieval County of Warwickshire.

OS Map Grid Reference: SK20580387
Latitude 52.63265° Longitude -1.69675°

Tamworth Castle has been described as a certain Timber Castle, and also as a certain Masonry Castle.

There are major building remains.

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law.
This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law*.


Tamworth Castle. According to the Anglo-Saxon Charter Lady Ethelfreda in 913 constructed a castle at Tamworth. The Marmions, during the 12th century converted Tamworth Castle into a Normal stronghold of the motte and bailey type. The mound, carrying some Norman masonry and works of later dates, is 37 yds in diameter and has a base of 80 yds diameter. The shell keep is roughly octagonal on plan, with walls 30 to 40ft high and, in parts, 9 feet thick. Nearly the whole of it was rebuilt in the times of Henry VIII (the Great Hall), James I and George III. The dry ditch around the castle is still easily traced. There is some evidence that there were further features between the mound and the rivers. Since Leland's time (16th century) every trace of the main buildings which stood in what is now the Castle Gardens has disappeared. The ancient entrance to the castle precincts is approached by a narrow by-way from Market Street - very little of the original masonry of the former gatehouse now remains, but what does, is undoubtedly medieval. The curtain wall, of herring-bone masonry, probably of Norman construction leads up to the keep from Market Street. The Holy Well: near the river on the east side of the grounds is the holy well of St Ruffianus, which has existed since Saxon days. (PastScape–ref. VCH; Mitchell)

Tamworth Castle consists of a large motte surmounted by the remains of a 12th century shell keep which was considerably altered or added to mainly in the 16th century. Vestiges of a moat are visible around the eastern perimeter of the mound; but of the bailey, which almost certainly accompanies the motte, there is no trace. A small portion of the curtain wall is visible extending from SK 2065 0393 - SK 2067 0393. The ?Saxon Holy Well is now represented by a modern brick cistern situated at SK 2075 0388. The castle is now in use as a Museum. (Field Investigators Comments–F1 AC 08-DEC-53) C11 motte. Late C11 herring-bone masonry in curtain-wall. Keep comprises multangular shell with C12 tower to east. Internal apartments, mainly C15-17, in good preservation (listing record). Report on excavations in 1977 of the Norman bailey defences. The tradition that Aethelflaes built the castle can be discounted as a confusion between the burh defences and the castle bailey rampart (Meeson, 1978). Re-considertion of the hall at Tamworth Castle suggested it was built in the second quarter of the fifteenth century or earlier. (Meeson, 1983) Tree-ring dating of timbers in the hall at Tamworth Castle suggested selling dates of c.1440 and c.1650 A.D. (Vernacular Architecture, 1987). (PastScape)

Castle, now museum. Late C11 motte and bailey castle; rebuilt C12,early C13 repairs or reconstruction; C12-C13 north wing, probably with 1st floor hall; early C15 hall range; C16 warder's lodge; early C17 south wing; c1800 alterations. Stone rubble with ashlar and brick with ashlar dressings; tile and flat lead roofs. Shell keep with north-east tower with warden's lodge to south, and later ranges forming H-plan house. Curtain walls have embattled parapets. Tower has battered base, flat buttresses and rounded turrets; C14 two-light traceried window and top window with label mould over 3 round-headed lights with transom. Warder's house to left has C14 pointed entrance in canted bay under gable; late C16 double-chamfered-mullioned windows of 3 and 4 lights. South wing has c1800 facade; ashlar; ground floor windows of 3 pointed lights; 5- and 7-light 1st floor windows with transoms, similar 3-light windows to 2nd floor. North range has 2 square projections forming bases of bay windows demolished c1800; 3-light transomed windows in splayed surrounds with brattishing; 6-light and 3-light windows above; similar windows to right, with French window, and to left, over corbelled base to oriel. Inner court has warder's lodge to south east: 2 storeys with attic; renewed double-chamfered-mullioned windows with leaded glazing; coped gable with kneelers. South range: brick with ashlar dressings; 2 storeys; 2-window range; quoins, plinth, platt bands and C19 embattled parapet; entrance to right in doorcase with 4-centred head, remains of paired pilasters to entablature with cresting and armorial panel; ground floor has 3-light windows with pegged casements; 1st floor 4-light transomed ovolo-mullioned windows; 2nd floor has 3-light double-chamfered-mullioned windows. Hall has brick plinth, exposed wall post and large C17 wood-mullioned and transomed windows with leaded glazing, forming glazed wall; stair turret to right has 2-light hollow-chamfered-mullioned windows; east end of north range mostly brick; blocked 1st floor door to west end. INTERIOR: hall has tie beam and double collar trusses with struts and wind braces, ovolo-mouldings with fillets to posts and soffits of trusses; enriched doorcases and fireplace with Mannerist detail, moved from house in Kent, c1822. Tudor-headed main entrance with studded door. Closed-well stair to north wing, which has 3 rooms with fireplace and doorcases from house in Kent. South wing has two 1st floor rooms with C17 panelling and contemporary fireplaces with pilasters and entablatures and enriched overmantels, one with flanking figures and relief carving of biblical scenes; armorial panels, c1800. Warder's house has similar 1st floor room with panelling and fireplace overmantel. Tower has stair with strapwork panels and top splat balusters; room with panelling and Tudor-arched fireplace. The castle has been inhabited since the Norman conquest, with a break in the mid C19, when it was used in connection with the nearby mills (dem); it was bought by the local council in 1897 and opened to the public. James I stayed at the castle; Sir Walter Scott referred to it in his poem Marmion. (Listed Building Report)

Note: Medieval Tamworth town had the Staffordshire-Warwickshire boundary running through the middle of it. It is thought that this was because the Saxon burh when founded was intended to be supported by its own hinterland of Tamworthshire but that as there were insufficient resources to do so so it was divided between Staffordshire and Warwickshire. Tamworth castle was only put in Staffordshire in 1888, following boundary changes, although even in 1859 Parker was locating it in Staffordshire and the Warwickshire VCH was still locating it it Warwickshire in 1904. (see GENUKI).
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER   Scheduling   Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 26/07/2017 09:20:09

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact