The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Coppenhall Gorse

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Hyde Manor; Hyde Lea

In the civil parish of Coppenhall.
In the historic county of Staffordshire.
Modern Authority of Staffordshire.
1974 county of Staffordshire.
Medieval County of Staffordshire.

OS Map Grid Reference: SJ90782039
Latitude 52.78046° Longitude -2.14124°

Coppenhall Gorse has been described as a probable Fortified Manor House.

There are earthwork remains.

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law.


The monument includes a moated site, a fishpond and the remains of a hollow way and is situated at the head of the valley of the Rising Brook, approximately 400m west of the village of Hyde Lea. The four arms of the moat are water-filled and measure up to 20m wide. The moat was cleared out by drag-line in 1980 and is now fed by surface drainage. The south eastern moat ditch extends a further 20m eastwards to form a pond area. A slight break in the outer scarp of the moat at its southern extent may represent the location of an inlet channel, or old marl workings. There were originally external banks on the south western and western edges of the moated site which were heavily disturbed by ploughing before 1974. There is now no surface evidence of the external banks and the area to the west and south west of the moated site is not included in the scheduling. The moated island measures 90m north-south and 70m west-east and is raised above the surrounding ground surface. The ground surface of the northern part of the island is slightly lower than that to the south. This forms a subsidiary platform which measures approximately 20m north-south and 50m west-east. There are no standing buildings on the moated island but there are slight earthworks, indicating the position of buried features. The original access onto the island is believed to have been by a timber bridge across the eastern arm of the moat, but access is currently by way of a modern causeway across the western arm. Small-scale excavations in 1951, 1960 and 1961 and an auger survey on the island provided evidence for the occupation of the moated site. Artefacts recovered included 13th and 14th century pottery, charcoal, animal bones and an early 14th century silver coin. The fishpond to the north west of the moated site is separated from the eastern arm of the moat by a causeway. The fishpond is now dry and is triangular in plan. The pond is bounded on its east side by a retaining bank which measures approximately 2.5m high and up to 18m wide. This retaining bank has been breached by the Rising Brook which rises within the site and now flows SW-NE across the pond area. The remains of a hollow way, bounded by slight outer banks, can be traced as a shallow depression running west-east from the southern edge of the fishpond. Hyde Lea moated site is considered to be the centre for the manor of Hyde. The lands known as the Hydes were granted to William Bagot in c.1140. The Bagots continued to hold the manor of Hyde until c.1340 when the site was taken over by Ralph, the first Earl of Stafford. An inquest in 1372 reveals that the manor of Hyde included two fishponds. By 1387 the manor house at Hyde appears to have been granted away by the second Earl of Stafford. The dearth of documentary references to the manor of Hyde after the mid-16th century would suggest that the manor ceased to exist as a separate estate after this date. (Scheduling Report)
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER   Scheduling        
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
This record last updated 26/07/2017 09:21:27

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact