The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Bridgwater Town Defences

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Brugewauter; Eastover

In the civil parish of Bridgwater.
In the historic county of Somerset.
Modern Authority of Somerset.
1974 county of Somerset.
Medieval County of Somerset.

OS Map Grid Reference: ST29493693
Latitude 51.12725° Longitude -3.00896°

Bridgwater Town Defences has been described as a certain Urban Defence.

There are no visible remains.


In the 1540s there were north, south, east, and west gates, but John Leland saw no other defences. There had been a defensive wall, at least on the west, where before 1295 a tenant was identified as William the smith in the walls, and in 1302 a site was bounded by the wall on the town ditch. The 'common ditch of the vill' was still a clear boundary in the mid 14th century, but elm trees were growing on parts of it by the earlier 15th. The 'old fortifications' were still recognizable in 1653 and water at high tide filled the ditch 'for a great part about the town'. Water still ran from beyond the west gate via the Mount along the northern edge of the town to the river in the earlier 18th century and the Mount itself seems to have been in origin a bastion in the defences, possibly referred to as near the north gate in 1399.
The west gate was mentioned in 1299; it was repaired in 1556, but has not been traced thereafter. The north gate, also mentioned in 1299, was rebuilt in 1646-7 but by the 1720s it was in bad repair and was taken down to improve the road in 1798. Its site was once marked by a stone near the girls' school in Northgate Street. The south gate, referred to c. 1361, was removed when the turnpike road was improved in 1822. The east gate, mentioned in the mid 13th century and later known as St. John's Gate, still stood in 1553.
The east gate marked the entrance to the town's largest suburb, Eastover, joined by the town bridge to the main part of Bridgwater on the west bank of the Parrett. Eastover was probably established after the bridge was built c. 1200, and the building of St. John's hospital by 1213 may mark its eastern extent. A ditch was licensed in 1286 from a point south of the bridge to the hospital, to provide a water-supply, and from there ran beside a causeway northwards to the river. The single street in Eastover was known variously as 'beyond the bridge', 'between the bridge and the hospital', 'east of the bridge', and 'within the east gate'. By the mid 14th century it was usually known as Eastover. Burgages had been established there by the mid 13th century. (VCH 1992)

The town defences were outgrown early on: burgages were being laid out beyond them in the 13th century. They probably consisted of a bank and ditch, with four gates. There are references to a wall (Dunning & Siraut, 1992), but no remains of any stone structure have been found. The sites of the town gates are known approximately, but few details have yet been recovered. The West Gate (SMR 12432) was in existence in the 13th century and was repaired in 1556; documents suggest it was of red sandstone with living accommodation above (Bridgwater Excavation Committee). The 13th century North Gate (SMR 12390) was rebuilt in the 17th century and demolished as part of late 18th century road improvements. The site used to be marked by a stone. The South Gate (SMR 12433) was in existence in the 14th century. It was demolished as part of early 19th century turnpike improvements. The East Gate, or St John's Gate (SMR 12393), was mentioned in the 13th century, and was still standing in the 16th century. (Gathercole)

Parts of the medieval town ditch and wall have been located during excavations and watching briefs throughout the 1970s and 1980s. the ditch was located at 43 Friars Street (ST 29670 36830) where it was found to be at least 3m deep with a bank on its eastern side. It was open until the C 16 before being sealed by C 18 and C 19 material. (PastScape–ref. Ellis, 1985)

Parts of the medieval town ditch and bank have been found during excavations in the 1970's and 1980's. The ditch was 5m deep and was open until C16, before being sealed by C18 and C19 material. There were four town gates, which were removed before 1878. Single grant of murage in 1269. Leland wrote there were four gates, but houses served instead of a wall.
Given map reference for site of West Gate.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER            
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
This record last updated 26/07/2017 09:21:52

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact