The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Beauvale Priory

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Beauvale Charterhouse; Beauvale Abbey

In the civil parish of Greasley.
In the historic county of Nottinghamshire.
Modern Authority of Nottinghamshire.
1974 county of Nottinghamshire.
Medieval County of Nottinghamshire.

OS Map Grid Reference: SK49234904
Latitude 53.03631° Longitude -1.26740°

Beauvale Priory has been described as a probable Pele Tower.

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains.

This is a Grade 2 listed building protected by law*.


The Carthusian monastery at Beauvale was founded in 1343 by Nicholas de Cantiloup, Lord of Ilkeston, it was dissolved in 1539. The remains incorporate part of the nave of the monastic church and attached to this is a three storey building identified as the prior's lodgings. To the east of the church is a sandstone wall with a single doorway with late medieval mouldings, that may represent part of the precinct wall. At the southeast corner of the site is a building identified as the gatehouse which is incorporated into later farm buildings. To the west of the church some of the monastic cells have been revealed by excavation. The present farmhouse Beauvale Abbey Farm sits on the line of the eastern cloistral range but appears from cursory inspection to be of post-medieval date. Surrounding the standing buildings are the well preserved earthwork remains of the monastic house. To the south of the monastery are two perched ponds. Enclosing the western and northern sides of the site is a large L-shaped earthwork bank, which is probably a garden feature postdating the monastery. To the west of the church the line of the cloister is represented by the modern orchard hedge. The line of the monastic cells along the north side of the cloister may be clearly traced as earthworks as may a few cells along the west side. The southern side of the cloister has been disturbed by the passage of farm traffic and the cell divisions are less easy to trace. In the field to the east of the church a low bank probably marks the former limit of the precinct enclosure. In the fields surrounding the monastery are the remains of ridge and furrow cultivation. Subsequent to the dissolution the priory was converted into a private residence with gardens and later into a farmhouse. (PastScape)

C14 three storey tower attached to church was priors lodging of Carthusian monastery founded in 1343 by Nicholas de Cantiloup, Lord of Ilkeston. Like most towers of this sort, certainly in the midlands, built more as an expression of status than as a defensive building although not without function for domestic security from thieves.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER       Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 26/07/2017 09:20:07

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact