The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Barton Seagrave Castle

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Barton Hanred

In the civil parish of Kettering.
In the historic county of Northamptonshire and the Soke of Peterborough.
Modern Authority of Northamptonshire.
1974 county of Northamptonshire.
Medieval County of Northamptonshire.

OS Map Grid Reference: SP886770
Latitude 52.38325° Longitude -0.70031°

Barton Seagrave Castle has been described as a probable Fortified Manor House.

There are earthwork remains.

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law.


Barton Seagrave moats and fishponds form a part of a wider settlement which was deserted as the village either shrank or shifted its focus further eastwards. Although part of the settlement has continued in use to the modern day, with consequent disturbance of the earlier remains, earthworks of the earlier settlement include the various house plots and significantly, two moats and a fishpond. One of the moats is the location of a prestigious residence whilst the other appears to have had a more ornamental function. The moats, fishpond and village remains at Barton Seagrave are well-preserved and together provide evidence of the changing patterns of medieval farming settlements in the Northamptonshire countryside.
The monument lies to the south of Kettering and on the west side of Barton Seagrave. The site includes two moated enclosures linked by a water channel and associated fishponds and water channels. To the north east of one of the moats lies part of the remains of the shrunken medieval village of Barton Seagrave. The southernmost moat is rectangular, measuring approximately 115m x 68m, and is surrounded by a ditch up to 2m deep and 20m wide. A causeway lies across the east ditch of the moat and exposed stonework is visible on the rectangular moat island. There is an outer bank 1m high on the north and west sides of the moat ditches and just to the west of the moat lies a rectangular fishpond fed by a spring. A water channel 0.5m deep, 1m wide and 100m long connects the south moat to the north moat. The north moat covers an area about 60m square and is surrounded by a ditch up to 8m wide and 2m deep; there is no evidence of an entrance causeway. Outer banks are evident on the north and west sides of the moat. Two deep rectangular depressions on the moat island are considered to be fishponds and suggest that this moat was an ornamental feature. In the centre of the monument, between the two moated sites, a water channel runs from east to west towards a large fishpond, still waterlogged, which lies in the west of the site. A further water channel runs towards the east from the centre of the site, and to the east are the earthwork remains of further channels which formed part of the water management system. To the north east of the northern moat lies part of the earthwork remains of the shrunken medieval village of Barton Seagrave. Two rectangular paddocks bounded by ditches now remain and in the south of the area stands a house platform. During road widening in the mid 1960s, a considerable amount of medieval pottery and masonry was uncovered just to the north of this area. (Scheduling Report)

The site is often termed a 'castle' but the remains suggest that there was never much more than two simple moated enclosures, one of which held a manor house. There is, however, a record of one Nicholas de Seagrave obtaining licence to crenellate in the early 14th century and this perhaps indicates the date of the construction of the moats, although it may only represent a rebuilding on an existing site. The site appears to be that of the manor house of Barton Hanred, one of the two manors in Barton Seagrave, which is last mentioned as inhabited in 1433 (VCH Northants., III (1930), 176–8; II (1906), 414; J. Bridges, Hist. of Northants., II (1791), 217).
The S. moat encloses an island of somewhat irregular form, surrounded by a wide ditch up to 2 m. deep. The interior is very uneven and much disturbed. A broad outer bank 1.5 m. high, on the N. and W. sides formerly held the water in the ditch. In the S.W. corner the ditch is much wider than elsewhere, and was perhaps a fishpond. Immediately to the W. is another rectangular pond, also probably for fish. Just outside the S.W. corner of the moat there is a large irregular mound, which is possibly a spoil heap from the original construction work. This moat is undoubtedly the site of the manor house, and it is probably from this place that the 'window frames and door cases of stone with other large quantities of good face-stone' came, (J. Bridges, op. cit.). (RCHME)

A Royal licence to crenellate was granted in 1310 Oct 3 (Click on the date for details of this licence.).


Gatehouse does not concur with the RCHME that this site represents the manor house of Barton Hanred. The RCHME dates the moats to the licence to crenellate of 1310, which is entirely reasonable but that work was done by Nicholas Seagrave who, at the time held the eponymous manor of Barton Seagrave. Barton Hanred was held by the de Lisle family in the C14.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape       Scheduling        
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
This record last updated 26/07/2017 09:21:02

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact