The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Kirby Knowle Castle

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Kirkby Knowle; Newbygill; New Building

In the civil parish of Kirby Knowle .
In the historic county of Yorkshire.
Modern Authority of North Yorkshire.
1974 county of North Yorkshire.
Medieval County of Yorkshire North Riding.

OS Map Grid Reference: SE45908746
Latitude 54.28073° Longitude -1.29652°

Kirby Knowle Castle has been described as a certain Masonry Castle.

There are no visible remains.

This is a Grade 2 listed building protected by law*.


A lane runs westward from the village up Whinmoor Hill to New Building, which is on the site of the castle said to have been built in the latter part of the 13th century by Roger Lascelles. It was burnt down in 1568 while in the possession of Sir John Constable, who began to repair it but did not live to complete the work. A contemporary survey describes this castle 'begune by the forsaid Sir John Constable, knight,' as 'an Mancion house of a great hight and length, pasyng beautiful of itself and faire of prospecte, Wharto belonges one goodlye haulle, great chaulmer, parler, and bed chaulmer, with a noumber of other pleasaunt loogynge and chambrge.' (Grainge) In 1653–4 it was purchased by James Danby in a ruined and dilapidated state; he repaired the old parts and built the south front and west wing, changing the name to its present one of New Building. A later owner, Joseph Rokeby, into whose family it passed by the female line from the Danbys, repaired and altered the front, destroying the mullioned windows and inserting wooden sashes. The building stands in a lofty situation looking over the country to the south. There were probably four corner towers to the first castle; of these one remains, and is occupied by a staircase of black oak. On a stone is cut the date 1374. The part projecting northward is probably also part of the older work, as are some of the cellars. The old buildings extended southward, occupying the present bowling green. A priest's hiding hole here still remains in the thickness of a wall. In the south wall towards the bowling green is a doorway with a covered lobby outside, probably the entrance designed by Sir John Constable. The house was thoroughly restored in 1875. (VCH)

Was up for sale in early 2016 and estate agent brochures may still be found online. One of these says "It was Sir Roger de Lascelles who sought permission from Edward I to build a castle at Kirby Knowle." There doesn't seem to be any evidence to support this claim.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER       Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 26/07/2017 09:20:07

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact