The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Harlsey Castle

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Hatlesey; Hartesey vel Harlesey; Harsley; Harlesey

In the civil parish of West Harlsey.
In the historic county of Yorkshire.
Modern Authority of North Yorkshire.
1974 county of North Yorkshire.
Medieval County of Yorkshire North Riding.

OS Map Grid Reference: SE41539803
Latitude 54.37637° Longitude -1.36274°

Harlsey Castle has been described as a certain Tower House.

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains.

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law.
This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law*.


Farmhouse, part of C15 castle. Early C15 and C19. Stone, rendered, pantile roof. 2 storeys, 4 bays. Right-hand bay has a lower roof. To bay 2 a 4-panel door with overlight set in plain doorcase with pilasters, frieze and cornice . All windows are 4-pane sashes with stone sills, those to ground floor have flat stuccoed arches. Stone coping to each end and to left of right-hand bay. End stacks and one to ridge. Rear: a small 4-centred arched window, now blocked. Interior has 3 very large beams. Thick original walls up to eaves level. History: built by Sir James Strangwayes, a judge of Common Pleas; he purchased the manor in 1423. His son James was High Sherriff of Yorkshire 1445-6, 1452 and 1468 and Speaker of the House of Commons 1461. It probably fell into disuse after the manor was forfeited to the Crown in the C16. (Listed Building Report)

An almost rectangular enclosure of 4 1/2 acres, with a 30ft wide ditch on three sides and terraces for defence on the west. Slight remains exist of an inner enclosure, including three cellars with rubble-vaulted pointed roofs which may be the basement of a later keep (Pevsner). Castle taken over by Sir James Strangeways in 1423 and probably fell into disuse after the manor was forfeited to the Crown in the 16th century. (VCH) The moat, now dry, was obviously originally a continuous feature, but its NW angle has been obliterated by the present farmstead. The terraces outside the ditch on the west side have been much mutilated by tree-planting, but were probably intended for cultivation rather than defence, as this is the least vulnerable side. The cellars of the castle are in use as farm buildings (Field Investigators Comment–F1 DS 30-NOV-72) The earthworks are divided into two areas, a more ornamental element to the east containing the ponds and orchards, and the inner court containing the principle buildings (Dennison and Richardson, 2007). (PastScape)
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER   Scheduling   Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 15/08/2017 15:56:49

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact