The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Gilling Castle–Gilling East near Helmsley

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Moat Hill; Galchlin

In the civil parish of Gilling East.
In the historic county of Yorkshire.
Modern Authority of North Yorkshire.
1974 county of North Yorkshire.
Medieval County of Yorkshire North Riding.

OS Map Grid Reference: SE611768
Latitude 54.18333° Longitude -1.06464°

Gilling Castle–Gilling East near Helmsley has been described as a certain Tower House, and also as a Uncertain although is doubtful that it was such.

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains.

This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law*.


Country house, now school. Tower house of late C14 with late C16 alterations possibly including the addition of wings, and extensive remodelling of west front and wings in C18. Tower house built for Sir Thomas Etton. Alterations of late C16 for Sir William Fairfax. Early C18 alterations by William Wakefield for 5th or 6th Viscount Fairfax. Limestone rubble and ashlar. U-shaped with rectangular central section flanked by wings running to west. East facade: tower house of 3 storeys and 4 bays with canted bay to left and staircase turret in third'bay with plinth and quoins. Blocked basket-arched door in angle of staircase turret which has 2-light square-headed double-chamfered mullion windows. First floor: double-chamfered mullion windows with 2 levels of transom and continuous hoodmoulds, of 9 lights to canted bay and 4 lights to second bay. Similar windows to second floor with single transom. Evidence of blocked fenestration to fourth bay. West front: 2 storeys and basement. 5-bay main range with projecting wings with ends emphasised by canted bays to-west front and return walls. Main range: basement has 6-pane sash to left and 6-fielded-panel door beneath divided overlight to right, flanking double- flight staircase to entrance with pair of keyed oculi beneath entrance. 2 bands, the upper one forming continuous sill to ground floor windows. Ground floor: half-glazed fielded-panel door beneath tall divided overlights in Gibbs surround with attached Ionic columns supporting plain pediment. Unequal 15-pane sashes in Gibbs surrounds. First floor: 6-pane sashes, that to centre in eared and shouldered architrave. Band carrying parapet with blind panels surmounted by 6 urns, articulating the bays. Similar details to wings. Interior: basement retains late C14 plan with central barrel- vaulted corridor and pointed doorways. East door, formerly external, carries 6 shields bearing Etton arms and retains a groove for a portcullis. The Great Chamber above is an impressive example of Elizabethan crafts- manship with marquetry panelling, painted frieze showing the arms of the gentlemen of Yorkshire, imposing carved 3-stage chimney piece bearing Fairfax achievement of arms and elaborate pendant boss ribbed plaster ceiling. Windows contain heraldic stained glass and are signed Bernard Dirickhoff, dated 1585. Other C16 features include a carved wooden chimney piece in the classroom to the right of the main entrance hall, and a massive queen-strut roof in the south wing suggesting an origin earlier than C18 for this part of the building. Of the C18 work the entrance hall and eastern rooms of the north wing probably date from about 1715 while the western rooms are probably about 20 years later. The Hall is Vanbrugian in character and is comparable with Beningborough and Duncombe. It is probably by William Thornton of York. To the centre of each wall are paired: Corinthian columns carrying arches except to the south where there is a chimneypiece. Elaborate plasterwork with swags and shell motifs by Cortese. Stair hall containing open string staircase with elaborately carved balusters. Room to north of Great Chamber has corner chimneypiece characteristic of early C18 and paralleled at Beningborough. The rest of the interior decoration of the north wing is of the later date with fine moulded wainscots, enriched ceiling friezes and carved wooden fireplaces and overdoors. The original interior of the long gallery of the same date was removed and sold in 1929 and the room now contains panelling by Thompson of Kilburn. The south-west drawing room has a fine carved chimneypiece and a western recess frame by an Ionic twin-columned recess. Tower erected by Thomas de Etton from 1349. (Listed Building Report)

Suggested as site of the castle of Galchlin mentioned in 1140, although that suggestion is not supported by the tenurial history or other evidence.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER       Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 15/08/2017 15:56:49

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact