The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Frampton Castle

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Framton'; Multon Hall

In the civil parish of Frampton.
In the historic county of Lincolnshire.
Modern Authority of Lincolnshire.
1974 county of Lincolnshire.
Medieval County of Lincolnshire.

OS Map Grid Reference: TF32783942
Latitude 52.93576° Longitude -0.02578°

Frampton Castle has been described as a probable Fortified Manor House.

There are cropmark/slight earthwork remains.


A castle is documented at Frampton in 1216. The site is unknown. (PastScape 1391207 ref. King)

TA 327391 (sic). Square moat south of village, perhaps the site of the castle mentioned in 1216. (Renn)

FRAMPTON, a small well-built village, 3 miles S. of Boston, ... The manors and their lords are,— Stone Hall, Lord Willoughby de Broke; Earls Hall, the heirs of Samuel Tunnard, Esq., and Multon Hall, the President and Scholars of St. Mary Magdalen College. Oxford. The other principal owner is Lieutenant-Colonel Charles Thomas John Moore, late high sheriff of Lincolnshire, whose family seat is Frampton Hall, a fine old mansion erected about 1720, near the site of the old moated Hall, by one of his ancestors, Coney Tunnard, Esq., and having a large park and pleasure grounds, which have lately been much improved.
The knightly family of Coppledyke were seated in this parish from 1250 to 1637. The site of their moated mansion is now in possession of Lieutenant-Colonel Moore, but all memorials in the Church of this and other ancient families, have been obliterated by the ill-advised renovations of the last century. A member of the old Norman family of Coney, which came over to England with Isabell, queen of Edward II., circa 1300, having married a daughter of William Coppledyke, the Coneys held possession m this parish till they passed by marriage, in 1669, to the Tunnards, who are said to have settled herein the reign of Edward the Confessor, and who have long possessed considerable property and the advowson of the living. (White 1872)

There are no surface remains of the Hall. The moat has been ploughed out is now under high crop. In the garden are two rebuilt arches with Normal shafts and scalloped capitals. They are believed to be from the earlier phase of St. Mary's Church (F1 JB 07-MAY-65). (PastScape 353812)

King also suggests Wybert's Castle as an alternative identification of the site mentioned in 1216 but David Roffe dismisses this suggestion.
The moated site Renn identified is probably that of Stone Hall, a rather later manor than 1215. The manor house of 1215, called a castle, was more probably that sited near Frampton Hall although a third, rather dubious soil mark at TF32273883 is identified as Coupledyke Hall. The form of the 'castra de Frampton' is unknown but, given it is mentioned, as a castle, only once it is unlikely this was a major earthwork or masonry building. A simple enclosed site (a ditch and/or bank) around a mainly timber set of buildings readily converted into a fashionable moated site later in the C13.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER            
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
This record last updated 26/07/2017 09:21:01

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact