The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Duke of Suffolks Palace, Kingston upon Hull

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Suffolk Palace; de la Poles House; Courthall

In the civil parish of Kingston upon Hull.
In the historic county of Yorkshire.
Modern Authority of Kingston upon Hull; City of.
1974 county of Humberside.
Medieval County of Yorkshire East Riding.

OS Map Grid Reference: TA10002883
Latitude 53.74411° Longitude -0.33282°

Duke of Suffolks Palace, Kingston upon Hull has been described as a probable Palace, and also as a certain Fortified Town House.

There are no visible remains.


Built 1296-1307 by Richard Oysel, second of Edward I's keepers of Hull, and passed to the de la Pole family circa 1330. The house was rebuilt circa 1380. An inventory of 1388 refers to a hall, summer hall, great chamber, numerous further chambers, a chapel, two wine cellars, a kitchen, a bakehouse, a granary and two dovecotes amongst various other buildings. Documentary sources from the mid 16th century describe the building as a mansion and depict it as a series of courtyards bounded by a wall and containing a gatehouse, great hall, and chamber blocks. The four storey gatehouse was built of brick and stone, as was the great hall which had a buttery and pantry to the east with a chamber above and a great chamber to the west. A magazine was recorded on the site in 1642. The majority of the buildings were demolished in the late 17th century, though the gatehouse survived until 1771. (PastScape)

Outstanding among the domestic houses of the town was the Pole family 'manorhouse' in Marketgate (later Lowgate). It was probably the house built at Myton for Edward I's keeper of Hull, which had been kept in repair in the early 14th century, and it presumably passed to the Poles when they acquired the manor of Myton about 1330. The house and grounds occupied a large, roughly triangular, area bounded by Marketgate, Bishopgate (now Bowlalley Lane), Beverley Street (a now-lost section of the street), and a common way running alongside the town wall. In 1347 the house (mansum) had a hall (aula) and chapel, and in the grounds was a 'gardenerhous'. The manor-house is said to have been rebuilt by Sir Michael de la Pole in the 1380s, and at about this time it became known as Courthall. An inventory of goods in the house in 1388 mentions the hall, the 'somerhalle', the chapel, a tower, and more than 20 chambers. (VCH)

A Royal licence to crenellate may have been granted in 1327 March 5 (Click on the date for details of this supposed licence.).


An early copy of a 1530's map (said by some to be C14) may show this as a crenellated house. A birds eye view, drawn in the time of Henry VIII, is the source for the PastScape description. It also shows a semicircular turret on the perimeter wall with three ground level gunports covering Lowgate. Clearly, some security would be require for a magazine.
The licence to crenellate of 1327 issued to the Burgesses of Hull confirming the licence for the town walls granted in 1321 gave additional licence to the burgesses to crenellate their houses with stone and brick. No specific house or burgess is mentioned but clearly this house is likely to have been included.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER            
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
This record last updated 26/07/2017 09:21:01

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact