The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Orwell Toot Hill

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
The Lordship

In the civil parish of Orwell.
In the historic county of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely.
Modern Authority of Cambridgeshire.
1974 county of Cambridgeshire.
Medieval County of Cambridgeshire.

OS Map Grid Reference: TL362504
Latitude 52.13542° Longitude -0.01135°

Orwell Toot Hill has been described as a probable Timber Castle.

There are no visible remains.


There was said to be an earthwork on the hillside below Orwell church to the south of Fisher's Lane (Conybeare, Highways and Byways, 144.(sic)), where a mound named the Lordship stood in 1686 (estate map). (VCH)

Orwell itself lies, as usual, just off the road, on the southern slope of the hill. Half a century ago it was the prettiest of villages, with its eponymous "well," shaded by magnificent trees, gushing from the hill-side, in the midst of a prehistoric earthwork, just below the noble church. But, about 1870, the earthwork, unhappily, was found to contain "coprolites" (worth probably about £100 after the expenses of getting them had been paid). For this paltry sum the whole place was destroyed. Well, trees, earthwork, all are now gone; only the church is left, perched on its slope high above the village street. (Conybeare, 1910)

The village of Orwell takes its name from a spring about 150 yds. S.W. of the church at the foot of Toot Hill, a spur from a chalk ridge which runs parallel to and N. of the river Rhee. On an estate map of c. 1680 (now in C.U.L.) a mound is shown between the spring and the church on an approximately square parcel of some 1 acres inscribed 'Lordship' (Plate 113). This mound, which may have been a small motte, was levelled c. 1883 to make way for a school. (RCHME)

Recorded as possible motte by King. Appears to be recorded in PastScape as 'site of Mill mound' at TL36475068, but this may well be a different mound. Cambs HER suggests location unlikely for a motte. Gatehouse suspects that there is confusion between two mounds here. A mound on the hill side recorded in the RCHME inventory, which was probably a mill mound, and earthworks in the village and by the church, destroyed c. 1870 which may well have been a motte, although Conybeare description may be more suggestive of a ringwork (a form of Norman castle not well known in 1910 and quite likely to be described as 'prehistoric'). The location and placename 'The Lordship' are highly suggestive of a manorial centre. The name Toot Hill now seems to be attached to the natural hill overlooking the village but the name 'Toot' is usually reserved for notable round and isolated mounds. The name may have transferred from a motte mound in the village or refer to a lost barrow on the hill top or the recorded mill mound (much of the hill has been quarried).
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER            
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
This record last updated 26/07/2017 09:21:01

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact